Contact Kate if you need:
Legal advice. Kate provides legal advice to health sector organizations
A trusted advisor. Kate is a great untangler of messes. Call her with your complicated situation and she will work with you to find a way forward.
A keynote speaker. Want an informative and engaging keynote address for your annual retreat or conference?
Team training. Need to fulfill mandatory team training for privacy, risk management or violence prevention? Want your team to learn new skills? Kate transforms health care culture with on-site and on-line training.
When you work with Kate you can expect her to:
- Explain the law so you understand it
- Provide you with options of how you can move forward
- Imbed your mission, vision and values into her advice
- Take your situation and questions seriously – but not herself
- Provide you with a fee quote so you understand how much her services will cost.
Kate provides legal advice based on Ontario law.
Kate can help you if:
- You are in a crisis and you need urgent legal advice and assistance
- You have to de-escalate “people behaving badly”
- You have to respond to the IPC, another regulator or police or the Ministry
- You are just starting out and need to undertake activities to achieve basic legal compliance
- You would like to lead by example and achieve or create best practice standards
- You are worried about your reputation and you want to make sure you do what’s right
- You receive a lawyer’s letter and you don’t know what to do to respond
Kate has four main areas of focus:
- Health Privacy
Kate is best known for her advice in health privacy. She can help you set up your policies, systems and forms so that you comply with privacy laws, including:
- Personal Health Information Protection Act
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
- Quality of Care Information Protection Act
Kate acts on your behalf if you have a privacy breach and you need to notify affected patients, the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario and professional Colleges. She can also assist you in dealing with the media and internal communications to change practices.
Looking for some free resources? Read The Privacy Prescription for Health Care Practices and IPC PHIPA Decisions
- Professional Staff Management and Hospital Privileges – Physicians, Dentists, Midwives, NPs
Kate literally wrote the book on Professional Staff management and hospital privileges. See the Ontario Hospital Association’s “Professional Staff Credentialing Toolkit”.
If you are a hospital leader (CEO, Chief of Staff, Chief of Department, Medical Affairs leader) Kate can help you with recruitment, discipline, succession planning, and change management with your Professional Staff. Kate represents hospital leaders in disputes with your doctors, dentists, midwives or NPs before your Medical Advisory Committee and hospital Board.
- Patient and Family Disputes and Risk Management
Kate has a knack for deescalating and responding to challenging situations involving patients (or residents or clients) and their families and other risk management situations. She will help you not to over or under react to any given situation. Kate uses a “CLEOS Approach” to address the clinical, legal, ethical, organizational and systemic issues that arise. She uses her “Anchors and Kites” model to ask creative questions that give your team momentum – even if it seems there is no “good” option.
Kate writes policies for health care organizations. When there is new legislation and you need to communicate key messages to your team members, she can help. Kate will make sure your policies are up-to-date and reflect legal standards. She also makes sure you keep your policies flexible and practical and easy to read. Recently, Kate has worked on policies dealing with: quality and critical incident reporting, record retention, privacy, and succession planning.
On-site and On-line Training
Kate uses humour and storytelling to transform health care culture and make otherwise boring legal topics relevant and memorable. Contact Kate for a quote for on-site training in any of the following topics:
- Consent to treatment
- Contracts 101
- Credentialing tips for boards
- Criminally charging patients
- De-escalating tips and techniques
- Documentation and charting
- Emergency planning
- Freedom of information
- How to be a witness in court
- How to do an investigation
- Mental health law
- Minute taking for health care meetings
- Physician leadership training
- Providing services to children or the elderly
- Risk management
- Social media
She offers specialized team privacy training for:
- Brain injury service providers
- Community health centres
- Developmental services
- Family health teams
- Health charities and foundations
- Long-term care
- Mental health
- Nurse practitioner led clinics
- Public health units
- Youth mental health