Health Privacy Update: IPC has new guidelines on avoiding abandoned health records
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario just released new guidelines “Avoiding Abandoned Health Records: Guidance for Health Information Custodians Changing Practice“.
The guidelines cover:
- Who is the custodian when there is a change of practice?
- What obligations do custodians have when changing practice?
- Avoiding abandoned records
- What to do if you discover abandoned records
These new guidelines are an important read for any health practice that has:
- Retirements (especially physicians, nurse practitioners, midwives, dentists or other regulated health practitioners who are themselves health information custodians)
- Relocation or moving on the horizon